Use in-text essay citations when you: Add a direct quote to your essay.
MLA Works Cited Page: Basic Format
Paraphrase an idea from a is proofreading a good job Summarize information from a single source. Several citation systems exist, but one of the most commonly used is the author-page system. The MLA Modern Language Association is the recognized standard for the author-page system of citation and is used widely in the humanities. MLA citations include the author’s surname and page number in parenthesis.
If you reference the author’s name in the text of your essay, it’s necessary to include only the page number. In picture books, such as coffee table photography books, the author usually pays for the photographs or permissions to use them.
Bykofsky and Sander, According to Bykofsky and Sander, in books containing a majority of photos, like coffee table picture books, the author purchases the photos. Notice, that when there are two authors, both of their surnames are mentioned.
Get personalized writing suggestions from EasyBib Plus!
When there are more than two authors, they are referenced as such: Smith, Jones, et al, Reference pages by number how to make a citation page for an essay. Although a quote from an expert can add impact to your essay, in most cases you should try to either paraphrase or summarize the information, using citation to reference your source. However, when you do use direct quotations, follow these rules: Insert the quotation exactly as it was written, errors and all.
Directly after a spelling error in a quote insert the word [sic]. If you make a change in the quotation, such as an underline or bold text in part of the quotation, note it in parentheses after the Tig welding thesis « Works Cited » at the top center of the page. Generally the woks cited should include the name of the author, the name of the article used if applicablethe name of the publication, the city of publication, and the year of publication of all the references that you used to write your essay.
- The MLA Modern Language Association is the recognized standard for the author-page system of citation and is used widely in the humanities.
- If you feel unsure regarding Essay Citations, you can buy an essay from a writing service to get a better idea.
- If the citation spans across multiple lines, indent all lines after the first line.
- There are three instances in which you need to ensure that you have used citations within your essay text.
- The summary or paraphrase should be placed along with a citation that references the source.
- When a direct quote has been placed in your essay.
- This resource, updated to reflect the MLA Handbook 8th ed.
- Smith, Jones, et al,
- In MLA citations, the surname of the author and the page number is provided in parenthesis.
- Parenthesis should be used for information that you have added following a quote.
- Author names are written last name first; middle names or middle initials follow the first name:
- Yolten, Birsen, et al,
Hints List your sources in alphabetical order based on the first word in each citation ignore words such as « the » and « a ». Double space your works cited page. If the citation spans across multiple lines, indent all lines after the first line.
When to Use Essay Citations in Your Paper
The following are formats of how to cite common sources in MLA format. Publishing Company Name, Year of Publishing. Year of Edition or Edition Number ed. Page Number s of article.